Friday, December 12, 2014

Gup #6 - Blue Stripe II to Blue Belt (November 29, 2014)



Getting my son ready for his black belt was my main priority this week leading up to Saturday’s test.  I even drew a Pikachu drawing for him.... to give him a smile/words of encouragement.

Getting food, drinks (extras to those who may need some extra energy) ready, warm clothes for Tyler, and getting my things ready was first on the list Saturday at 4:30 a.m.

I woke Ty up at 6:45.  Made some Steele Oats and almonds/fruits… we both at breakfast, and then got ready for a very long day ahead.

When we arrived, I ensured Tyler was nice and warm, layered clothing and giving him a bit of a pep talk.  I wish the best for this boy, and yes, I'm a worried mom at the best of times. 

While Tyler did his 10k, I was inside the building setting up the table of drinks/treats, and getting myself organized to help out Sir get everyone that was testing that morning, to bring me their testing papers and money. 





With Judy Sparks concentrating on beating her cancer, I have volunteered to step in and help as much as I can.  Judy (and Sir) means a lot to me, I will help wherever I can.

At 9:00 - Dragons commence their test, and by 9:30 they are done!

When the black belt testees finished their endurance drills, we (Pria, Neil, Mike, Kasha, Christopher and I) joined them and started our Patterns/kicks/step sparring test.

My head was just not in the game having Tyler behind me the whole time during this test.  I want so much for this boy; that I started to feel quite sick to my stomach and I was becoming quite emotional.

I made it through what I had to do for my test…. And even answered some theory questions.  The hardest one was explaining Perseverance and how one would apply that to school and home.  I think Cheryl asked me that question on circumstances of the day/morning.  I answered honestly.  I for one, am NOT a person that gives up, especially when I say something aloud that I may not have wanted to say at the moment… I’m unfortunately hard headed and will stick to my guns before backing down on my words.  My stupid mouth gets me in trouble most times, and I kick my ass for saying things… but it’s too late.  I have to continue… no matter what.


Kasha was up to do a palm break.  It was not successful after a few attempts – she just needed some confidence.  She’s a very sweet kid.  Pria was next and did a hammer fist break.  She hates breaking boards, but was quite successful.  I was next, they asked Tyler to hold the board.  People thought that this may not be such a good idea (jokingly)… I did the palm break… and almost put my palm through my son’s head…I wasn’t holding back.

The next break was a kick.  Kasha and Pria did a lead leg side kick.  I was asked which kick I wanted to do.  Cheryl suggested the spinning hook…. Again Tyler held the board… again I put my foot through it.

Test completed.  Bathroom to change and have a bit of a cry.  A real bunch of mixed emotions today. Then I watched the rest of the Black Belt test. (next post)

Tuesday night I was presented with my new belt. On to Joon Gun (32 movements)




No comments: